What are Proprietary Medicines?
A proprietary medicine or an ayurvedic proprietary medicine is one that is owned and manufactured by a single individual or a group of individuals as a team. Commonly known as patent medicines, the copyright or the patent holds the control of it. There are several Ayurvedic proprietary medicines in our country that is owned and controlled by several different manufacturing companies and HIMAAYUSH happens to be one of the few companies that owns and manufactures its own proprietary medicine, that is well known not only in Kolkata but also in whole of India.
Ayurvedic Proprietary Medicine
The main component of Ayurveda are the Ayurvedic herbs. Ayurveda is the traditional Indian practice of suing natural sources for the wellness of human beings and is a very old tradition that is followed in India. The three doshas in our body namely Vata, Pitta and Kapha are usually cleansed or removed using these herbs that also provide strength against diseases and keep the whole body in spirit. In an Ayurvedic proprietary medicine, the formula and dosage of a particular medicine or a formula of different herbs are owned by a particular manufacturing company. It is their own personal composition and it is not included or found in any of the traditional Ayurvedic books.
With the understanding of the company’s founder, co founder and other members, the composition of the Ayurvedic Proprietary medicine is made and then sold. It includes clinical testing of the Ayurvedic proprietary medicine in labs, reasoning of each element used in it and also possible research on the side effects of the ingredients used. The most important thing about Ayurvedic proprietary medicine or any type of proprietary medicines is to get the legal license for the product and the drug control authorities for the selling of this medicines. Examples include:
- HIMAAYUSH PAYN OFF OINTMENT
- HIMAAYUSH BRIGHTONE CREAM
How safe is it?
Ayurveda is the branch of science that depends on the holistic uses of elements specifically herbs for the physical and mental health. Ayurvedic Proprietary medicines are the safest as it is just the combination of certain herbal formulas but some of them may be toxic due to presence of small amounts of substances such as lead, arsenic or mercury in it.
Certain Ayurvedic proprietary medicine help in reducing the pain and increase the functioning in people who are affected with osteoarthritis and help in managing symptoms in people mainly with diabetes.
Advantages of Ayurveda
Certain advantages of Ayurveda include
1. Stress Buster- Since long it has been known that Ayurveda and Yoga have been interconnected to each other. In relation to to our consciousness, Vedic Knowledge helps us to portray the inner functioning of the universe. Ayurveda or Ayurvedic Proprietary medicines are a great stress buster as:
- A simple meditation for 15 minutes a day helps us to relax our mind and body from all the commotion that surrounds us and helps in reducing the stress hormones.
- A popular drink known as Green Tea contains alkaloids such as L-threonine that acts as a potent stress buster and helps in reducing the anxiety in our mind.
- Dinacharya or the practice of waking up early in the morning helps in keeping the mind at peace.
2. Helps in losing weight- Ayurveda has long been known to help an individual to get back in shape. The diet helps in:
- Detoxification of the body
- Reducing cholesterol
- Regulating blood circulation
- Getting rid of body odor
- Purification and skin toning
- For getting rid of excess fat from the tissues
3.For maintaining Hormonal Balance– By maintaining a healthy hormonal balance, Ayurveda ensures a healthy menstrual cycle in women and reduces any pregnancy related problems or complexities.
4.Helps in Reducing Inflammation- Due to lack of sleep and poor diet, inflammation is caused in the body. There are several Ayurvedic formulas that helps in reducing the inflammation in the body. Boswellia and Ashwagandha are some of the herbs that help in the same.
Advantages of Ayurvedic Proprietary Medicine
1. Easy Usage- When an individual has to consume a lot of products in case of traditional Ayurveda, the case is different in case of Ayurvedic Proprietary medicine. All the components are mixed together in a definite composition which is easy for intake.
2.Number of Ingredients- The number of ingredients in Ayurvedic Proprietary Medicine is managed y the manufacturing company. The ingredients can be less or more according to the need and property of that medicine which makes it easy for application and its usage.
Top 5 Ayurvedic Proprietary Medicine
- HIMAAYUSH PAYN OFF OINTMENT – A pain relief ointment available in a pack of 30ml is the best and one of the top Ayurvedic Proprietary medicine in India by Himaayush . It composed of many herbal products such as:
- Amla (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bahera (Terminalia belerica)
It also contains a paste of the following ingredients:
- White Bee’s Wax
- White petroleum jelly
- Pudina Satva
- Karpur (Camphor)
- Gingily oil
It also contains preservatives such as:
- Butylated Hydroxy Toluene(BHT)
- Methyl Paraben
The best formulation of a pain relief ointment is also the best example of ayurvedic proprietary medicine.
Payn off ointment is safer in comparison with other pain relief products and helps in other aspects such as:
- This is free from methyl salicylate.
- It is made up of complete natural and qualitative herbs and medicaments.
- User friendly
- Only external use of this product is safer
- There is no age barrier for the user.
2. HIMAAYUSH KUT-N-BRN ANTISEPTIC LIQUID – An antiseptic cream in a pack of 30 ml is the best in town as it contains natural and herbal products which include:
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Nimba (Azadiracta indica)
- Yasti (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Durva (Cynodon dactylon)
Haridra helps in maintaining the complexion of skin and is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effects. Neem has anti acne effects and is a wound healer. Burn wounding and rejuvenation of skin is done by Yasti, and Durva is haemostatic (stops the bleeding) and is Analgesic (removes the pain).
Other ingredients in this antiseptic cream include:
- Chlorhexidine digluconate
- Alcohol (Camphor)
The key effects of this antiseptic cream are as follows:
- Starts the action immediately.
- No irritation
- 100% safe and natural
- Purely water based
- Easy to wash
- All round activity in one composition
3. HIMAAYUSH BRIGHTONE CREAM– A fairness cream of 30ml is also one of the top 5 ayurvedic proprietary medicine by Himaayush. It contains many natural products which not only brightens the skin but also eliminates all skin related problems naturally. The ingredients in this include:
- Gulab(Rosa centifolia)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Nimba (Azadirachta indica)
- Panas (Artocarpus heterophyllus)
- Nimbu (Citrus lemon)
Other ingredients include:
- Stearic acid
- Potassium hydroxide
- Anhydrous Lanolin
- Light Liquid Paraffin
- Zinc oxide
- Distilled Water
Other preservatives include:
- Methyl Paraben
- Propyl paraben
- Butylated Hydroxy Toluene (BHT)
This 5 in 1 formula helps us with
- Brings instant glow and smoothness
- Mitigates acne-pimples
- Reduces dark circles under eyes
- Controls Wrinkles
- Clears Black spots
4.DABUR CHYAWANPRASH– This formula boosts energy in every individual and has been and continues to be the most essential part of the diet during Covid times as everyone wants to have a good immunity. It is a formula of the best herbal products available with different properties but all of them associated with the same purpose that is to boost an individuals’ immunity. Dabur Chyawanprash is made up of 40 different ayurvedic herbs in an amla base pulp. Some of the ingredients include:
- Amla which has antioxidant properties
- Giloy which enhances the immunity
- Shatavari that enhances the strength
- Pippali that enhances the bioavailability
- Ashwagandha that is an energy enhancer
- Mulethi which is a respiratory tract enhancer
There are several benefits of this formula that are as follows:
- Stimulates immunity
- Helps in purifying blood
- Helps in providing a healthy heart
- Helps in Normalising the Blood pressure
- Revitalizes the skin cells
- Provides energy
- Improves the digestion
This formulation has helped a lot of people gain immunity during Covid times and keeps to help a lot of them till date.
5.HIMALAYA LIV 52 TABLETS- Himalaya was founded by M Manal who scientifically tested the properties of Rauwolfia serpentina, which helped to pacify the restless elephants that were being fed the root of plants.
Liv 52 tablets help in the diagnosis of both Hepatitis A and B, improving the digestion and the appetite in an individual. It also helps in different diseases such as jaundice, liver damage. May or may not have side effects in a person. Some of the side effects includes nausea and vomiting. The ingredients for making this formulation includes:
- capparis spinosa
- cichorium intybus
- solanum nigrum
- terminalia arjuna
- cassia occidentalis
- achillea millefolium
- tamarix gallica